I've decided that I'd like to start sharing recipes once in awhile on my blog. I have developed a love for cooking especially as I've learned more about nutrition and trying to eat as naturally as possible. I feel a lot of satisfaction in being able to provide delicious healthy meals for my family and friends. Well, okay, I still feel intimidated when cooking for others but I'm really trying to get past that. Anyway...try the recipes and let me know what you think!
The very first recipe is one of our favorites. If I were to choose, soups would be my favorite meal and this is one of my favorite soups. This was also the winner of the branch soup contest last fall.
Chicken Tortellini Soup
2 Tbsp. olive oil
4 chicken breasts
1 large onion, chopped
2 or 3 stalks celery, diced
2 or 3 carrots, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. sage
1 (28 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can chicken broth
1 c. cooking wine or beef broth
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 small pkg. fresh tortellini (Buitonni or similar)
Grated Parmesan for garnish
Saute chicken in olive oil. Saute celery, onions, and carrots in olive oil (in soup pan) until soft. Add shredded chicken, garlic, and spices. Mix in tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, etc. Simmer 1 hour. Cook tortellini. Rinse, drain, and add to soup. Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
If doubling, you can buy a bigger package of tortellini. Something my mom taught me: when doubling a recipe, never double the spices. Also, when reheating, add more chicken broth to the soup- the tortellini continues to soak up the broth. Enjoy!
5 comments:
Carrie! I think this is a great idea! I know I can always use new recipes--and we love a good, healthy soup! Especially since we don't have an oven to cook in! I'm going to give this a try soon, thanks! Oh, and I have a good lentil soup recipe to send you if you like lentils..
I LOVE lentils!
Hooray...I have been wanting to try your soup ever since I learned of it's existence! Of course...it would be all the more perfect if you could come up here and make it for me...is that a possibility?
Ooooo. make it for me too. Please? Keep sharing recipes- I am a terrible cook and I very much believe in preservatives which might be the reason of my arteries slowing closing. More healthy recipies please.
Carrie...how are you??? You have such a cute little family...you all look so happy!
Post a Comment