Wednesday, February 18, 2009

California Chicken Salad

Another recipe. I've been thinking after Annie's comment on my last recipe post that I should share recipes more often. She lives in Spain and doesn't have an oven so everything has to be made on the stove top. That made me realize that I don't use my oven very much for meals. I use it for bread and treats and such but hardly ever for meals. I don't make casseroles and any "roasted" meat I usually do in the crock pot. So here is one of my absolute favorites, no oven required!

My sister Julie made this for us when she came to visit in South Carolina after Maxon was born. I love it and the recipe is often requested.

1 box long & wild rice (Uncle Ben's Original), cooked
3-4 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
4 green onions
1 red pepper
3 oz snowpeas (I actually use cooked peas, unshelled)
2 avocados
1 c. almonds, sliced and toasted

Mix all together and add the following dressing:
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp. dijon mustard
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. sugar
1/4 t. pepper
1/3 c. rice vinegar
1/3 c. salad oil

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of the best recipes I
have ever tried. I use regular
sweet peas shelled and I add a can
of rinsed black beans.
(I'm always changing things, never was good a reading directions)

I also discovered that you can
freeze it for a later time.

sharon

julie said...

I think this is my favorite meal ever. Remember at your shower when I loaded up on this and m&m's...and breadsticks? You claimed you didn't judge me..but I know you did. :) haha!

Anonymous said...

umm...I'm pretty sure I still ate more than you...and then continued eating after you left.

Annie & Jake said...

Oh, thank you, thank you! Can't wait to try it! I will let you know how it turns out!!