Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Growing Into 4

Max's birthday is on our double calendar in the kitchen and the writing is right at eye level for Max to see that it's coming up.  He's, of course, very excited.  He just understands everything so much better and is able to remember now what birthdays are.  He remembers his birthday last year and he's been to friends birthday parties and it's just so much more tangible to him.  He's been growing.  When his shoes are too tight and his pants are too short I've been saying, "you're growing your 4 year old feet"...or "your 4 year old legs".  He's amazed at this and loves to say it himself now. 

I think 4 is going to be a really good year.  We struggled through 2 after Evelyn was born and especially 3 and part of that was because of his dairy protein intolerance and its reactions in his body, part of it was jealousy, part of it was my not being able to handle two babies and expecting him to be older than he was...moves, changes, health of family members, etc.  But things are really looking bright.  Lately, he's been so kind and inclusive to his sister.  He'll ask her if she wants to play and she's able to say "uh-huh" and follow him.  They actually play together without me in the room and are really enjoying each other.  It's like a miracle!  My favorite is when he says, "Evie, do you want to play with me?  I'll be kind.  You're my best friend-- I love you."  {melt}.

We had such a fun day today and I just had to document it.  I don't ever write in a journal anymore, but I also wasn't really documenting anything on my blog because I didn't want everyone reading my "journal".  So just now, I made it completely private, but I'm not really sure how that's going to go.  Actually, now that I think about it, I should probably just create a separate journal blog so that I'm still able to share pictures and stuff...I just feel like I'm so over blogging at the moment.  So private it is....or maybe not... 

This is Jason's second week being out of town and Max has really missed him.  Today, in my email inbox, was an activity that Jason had created for Max.  Max has been playing "detective" a lot lately with his backpack and his flashlight so this was just perfect.  Here it is:

Detective Max,

This is your mission, should you choose to accept it.  We need your detective skills to find some very important things.  We have gathered a few clues, but this is all we know at this time.  Agent Daddy will catch up with you on Thursday or Friday to see what you have been able to find out...If you need help, ask Agent Mommy.  Her proven skills could help you out!

Clues:
1. Long, black plastic case.  We think it's shaped like a rectangle and may be kept in a closet somewhere.
2. We're looking for a short sailor whose boat may have crashed.  He's known for carrying a blue fishing pole in his boat with him.
3. A green and yellow colored item.  We're not sure what it is, definitely not a blanket, but we've gathered that people like to lay in the shade between trees in one of these.
4. The next item we are looking for has a bag that stands up by itself.  We think that it carries long metal sticks of some sort.
5. We got a tip from a source the other day telling us that there might be some skiis at 7 Orion Avenue.  We don't know anything more.
6. An important piece of evidence in a new case is a movie.  We need to locate this movie.  All we know at this time is that it has a furry blue monster on the cover.  It may have a green monster too.
7. We don't now much about this next item either.  It's a big white box of some kind that we think has water that pours into it when a silver handle is turned.
8. This item is very suspicious to us.  We don't know what it looks like, but we're told it is dangerous for children and daddies to wear ties.  It's some kind of a paper eating machine...
9. This is used to hold children's shoes.  Our sources tell us that it is kept in a dark cave upstairs.
10. A very curious item needs to be detected.  We think that it started as a little bulb underground and we're told that it grows everyday, but to do so it needs water, soil and sunshine.
11. The last tiem is that most important of all.  It's very valuable to Agent Mommy and Agent Daddy.  We know that there is yellow on top.  Our sources also tell us that to find this you'll need to follow these directions very carefully: ride your tricycle around the block, make three swings in a swinging couch on the porch, ring the doorbell two times, enter through the front door and check under the ottoman with your flashlight.  Next, crawl over the green couches and check under the computer table, then look in the cave bathroom by the kitchen.  There's more!  Next you need to climb the tall, steep mountain all the way to the top and crawl down the hallway quietly on your hands and knees.  Crawl into your bedroom and look under the bed and chair.  You may need to read one of Evelyn's books to look for more clues, try Pat the Bunny {we actually read "The Tale of Tails"}.  Next go to the bathroom by your bedroom, but don't turn on the light!  Place your red stool in front of the sink-- then have Agent Mommy turn on the light.  We're told that you'll see this most precious thing with yellow on top.

Good luck Detective Max.  We're all counting on you!

Detectives R'Us Headquarters

So fun and that last clue just had me in tears.  So all day I've been calling him the treasure with yellow on top.

He's really been into riding his trike lately.  He'll ride that thing all over the neighborhood.  We like to walk around the block- Evelyn pushing her little baby stroller and Max on his trike. 

This afternoon, we decided to brave the cold water (and not so warm weather...but sunny) and try out the neighborhood pool.  Max was so excited to go in but I was so hesitant because it was freezing!  I finally decided I just had to do it- for him- so I did and he had a blast!  He was wearing a life jacket and was hesitant at first but as soon as he found out he would float, he was all over the place.  I've never seen him so proud of himself.  It was something that he thought was scary...he felt he wouldn't be able to do it on his own...and then he just risked it (very unlike him) and tried and was successful and he just beamed.  It was wonderful!  I'm looking forward to many more accomplishments and discoveries...and a lot more sibling bonding!

We had sandwiches outside for dinner and played in the grass before coming in for bed.  It felt good to just be able to play and be outside and be genuinely enjoying it instead of forcing myself to enjoy it.  For our family as a whole, I think we've got a lot to look forward to.

7 comments:

*LaUrA* said...

I loved this post. I like reading about what your life is like and what you are up to. I really think these journaly posts are so important and I need to do them more!

Max sounds terrific! Can't believe our little boys are 4 (close enough!)For a while I really was excited for Carter to grow up...gain some independence...now I am ready for him to stop. I no longer love this whole growin gup business:)

Thanks for sharing! I sure do you miss you and consider it a great treat when I get to read into your life a bit! Keep posting!

Karen said...

I love that treasure hunt that Jason did. That is so cute. I'm glad that they are getting along better.

Becky said...

Carrie- I have a separate blog for journal type thoughts, but this is darling to add to your blog....love the detective activity!

4 is a really good age (especially when you have a 2 year old almost as well) I struggled with my two first kids being so close, that's why the others are spread a little more. Kids get more and more fun as they get older....ENJOY!

Natalie said...

So cute! What a creative "daddy" you have! I love the treasure with yellow on top! That is so cute! So cute! Did I say so cute?! :)

Annie & Jake said...

What a sweet thing to do!

Btw, I was just in T.F. for 10 days and I ran into somebody at the grocery store who called me by your name. It was awkward, haha.

Laura Lynn said...

So sweet. I can't believe 4 already. How can it not be a good year when you have that cute of a family!

Anonymous said...

This was a good post, I like journal posts :) It is fun to keep up with you and your family.