Friday, January 18, 2008

Joining the Ranks

Now that it's official I wanted to let our friends and extended family know of what the new year holds for us. I have recently received orders to serve a 6-month boots-on-ground tour in Iraq. Don't be shocked, we weren't, since we actually volunteered for the position a couple of months ago. Don't feel bad for us either, we don't, since we knew from the beginning that this possibility always held potential. I have to admit that serving in the war in Iraq never was part of our original planning, but some things have changed, inside our home and inside Iraq too, that have brought us to this point.

Do be shocked, we are, at the awesome progress that our heroic men and women of the armed forces have made in the last 7 months in Iraq, resulting in a much safer place to be. Do feel faith in God, The Lord of Hosts, we do, as you pray for our family this year. Your prayers will be well received and much appreciated!

This has been a difficult decision for us, and many challenges lie ahead, but we stride confidently into the future fearing only that we would not gain from these challenges all that is intended for us. I will report to my check-in at the Seabee base in Gulfport, MS, on 31 March. I will be there until the 7th of April when I arrive at Ft. Dix in New Jersey. This will be my training ground for the duration of one month. I'll be taught many basic skills from land navigation to military conveyance techniques. I am scheduled to fly into US Central Command in Kuwait on May 9th, where I will spend about 10 days or so acclimating, continuing training, and hitching a ride to my ultimate duty station.

It's a fun ride into Camp Al Asad, in the Anbar Province of Western Iraq, if you request the C-130's tactical landing approach, I'm told. I'll definitely request it! Camp Al Asad is a Marine fixed-wing air base--basically like where I work now, but not so green. There I will spend the remainder of my deployment serving in one of three possible engineering positions. It will be great duty to have for someone of my abilities and training. I won't be required to leave the base, I won't convoy, ever, and though I wear an M9 on my side at all times, I'll probably never even shoot it. I will work long, long, long hours, I will probably want to leave the base to see something different for a change, and I will program, plan, brief or anything else they need me to do...In short, it will be a job rated for my training as an engineer.

I'll leave this blog as it stands now, allowing Carrie to enter her own posting of what her plans will be during my time away. I intend to enter many more blogs as this year passes on and plans become experiences, and experiences, memories. -Jason-

4 comments:

*LaUrA* said...

Wow...I don't know if I have words. You said everything so well. You will most definitely be in our prayers and our hearts as will Carrie and Maxon. We love you guys! I too will share in your faith and know that God has a plan for us all. God's Speed! I can't wait to here about your experiences over there and find out what it is really like.

If there is ever anything we can do for you or your family we will be right there!!!

You are my hero.

Cheri said...

Well, first off, thank you. My brother is over there for the second time. I have nothing but respect for our troups, and gratitude for their service. We'll be praying for your safety.

Karen said...

WOW! I had no idea that you would ever go to Iraq and like the others...your family will definitely be in our prayers!

Lance said...

Your a great man lil' brother. I am confident you will be safe and will gain a great deal from the tour. You, Carrie and Maxon will still be in my prayers. I know that God with go with you.

When I grow up I want to be like you.