Tuesday, March 4, 2008

South Carolina

We're having problems with our computer. It seems like our computers are always having problems and we take really good care of them. It's very frustrating. Anyway, that's one of the reasons why I haven't been posting or making new decorative titles for our blog. Other than that, we're just busy preparing for deployment and trying to sell our house and attempting to plan for upcoming events. I know that when Jason wrote the details of his deployment to Iraq he mentioned that I would be writing about my plans. I've failed to do that until now. I think most everybody already knows that Maxon and I will be moving to Twin Falls while Jason is gone. He leaves on March 30th and we'll be in Twin Falls on April 1st. I am so grateful for supportive family and really, if Jason's not here, there is not a better place for us to be among those who love us most. It will be a really good opportunity for Max (and me) to spend time with his grandparents and his cousins and friends that have found their way back to our hometown.



When Jason comes home in November, we'll be moving to New London, CT and we are so very excited about living in the Northeast for a little while. We will be located right between Boston and New York City and we hope for lots of visitors.



Now that it's March, everything seems like it is actually going to happen and fast and it's strange that we won't ever really be back to South Carolina. We've really enjoyed being here for the most part. We have wonderful friends and we will miss the people in our branch tremendously. From the day we arrived, they took us under their wing and have been like family to us while we've been so far away from our own. I've never been in a group that is so accepting of one another and the friendships have no relation to age, economic or marital status, or any of those indicators that usually work to form subgroups. It is also a very beautiful place. When we first moved here, we were amazed at how green it was and full of trees and plants. Now, when we go back to Idaho, it's strage to us that the environment is so brown and open (we like that too). We will miss being by the ocean and marshes and (I think I have to speak only for myself) the heat and especially the humidity will be missed as well. Oh how I love humidity. If I can find some, I'll post some pictures of the area for y'all to enjoy. (I actually never say y'all, but I thought I'd throw it in while I can!)


Beautiful view across a pond.


This is an egret and they are everywhere here. There are usually a couple in the pond across from our house and they are so big and elegant looking.


Live Oaks draped with Spanish Moss (this is where the "no-see-ums" live).


Southern Magnolias are gorgeous. They almost look porcelain and they are also very big.

Harbor views are plentiful.


This picture was actually taken in a neighborhood just down the street from us- not far from a woman I visit teach. Most neighborhood ponds have alligators in them and some can get really big...6 feet or so. They often walk across streets and it looks like this one wants to make a house call.

What a beautiful place.

10 comments:

Annie & Jake said...

Carrie,

I love the photos of where you live--I'm sad that I never got to come visit you in SC--it sounds really pretty. Although I'm not one for humidity or 6 foot alligators. :) I'll just have to come visit you in CT someday. Best of luck selling your house and with the move. Jason will be in our thoughts while he's away.

Jason, Amanda, Brayden and Dillon said...

Carrie,
I hope SO bad that November comes fast!!!! You guys are troopers!
I know that Julie and I (and your families of course!) will be thrilled to have you in Twin for awhile. Good luck with the move and tell Jason good luck!
Amanda

Ashley and Dave said...

I cannot believe that you are doing this...crazy kids! But, I am glad that you will be closer! All of us HAVE to get together while you are in twin. I feel like everyone sees eachother but me cause my silly family moved :( Kinsey and I will have to make a special trip up this summer. I have heard Conneticut is beautiful. There is a nurse anesthetist school there that Dave is probably going to apply for, but that will still be 2 years away. Maybe neighbors someday?

julie said...

So if I saw an alligator like that, I would pee my pants...scary! I'm so excited for you be in Twin! We should play all the time. No excuses!

Ashley and Dave said...

Oh! I made your soup you suggested! It was really good! THanks for the recipe!

Cheri said...

I guess I didn't realize you're in S.C. Right now. My brother is isn Iraq at the moment and his family lives in Fort Bragg in North Carolina. I've seen pictures and they are beautiful. I love all the green and trees.

*LaUrA* said...

I am too am sad I never got to visit you in South Carolina. I love the pictures!! I love the alligator one. It reminds me of when I was little. We had a favorite swimming hole but we couldn't go at certain times of the day because the alligators would be in....crazy huh!

And do seriously like humidity? I feel like I am constantly wrapped in a steaming towel...always glistening with frizzy hair!!

I am glad you will be back in Twin! Though I don't go all too often but will make a special trip to see you! And definitely come and visit me up here anytime!! We have plenty of room!!

Casey Marie said...

Wow, that alligator picture is crazy! I can just imagine that person opening their door and seeing that beast. I would be scared. It sounds like SC is wonderful, I would like to visit one day.

Catherine Odiorne said...

I'm going to miss you guys so much! That was a nice post! But about the humidity...you like it? I wish I could learn to like it. I guess it was just because it use to make my curly hair go crazy!

Lloyd Family said...

Love the pics. Did that aligator ring the door bell? I think he was snickering at his funny joke-- to scare the heck out of the house-wife!! What a beautiful place you live in. Lance and I will be spending most of July in Utah. I think we are going to Yellowstone for a few days. You and Max should join us.

Oh, and yes, I ordered a Shade shirt and yes, I love it. It is so nice not to worry about showing off underwear when I bend over!!! There are Shade stores in UT. I'll have to check them out when I'm there.

We love you guys and will be praying for your family.