Friday, June 13, 2008

Copy-Cat

I've been doing a few projects for my baby girl and it's so much fun. I'm trying not to get too carried away...but I figure now is the best time to do it. When else am I going to have as much project time as I do now? Probably never. I think the projects are turning out well but they are really hard to take pictures of. I also have a disclaimer: I'm a copy-cat. When I was in 4th grade doing Idaho history, I remember having to rewrite my paragraph on the Appaloosa at least 4 times because I just kept plagerizing! I had absolutely no interest in the horse other than that the spots on it's bum are cool...for a horse. No. That's not fair. Horses can be beautiful animals. The real dilemma is that I'm terrified of them. Anway...plagerism...very bad...but sometimes necessary? So back to my projects. I see things people do that are cute and I think, I could do that...only it would be cheaper...so I do it. I don't feel so bad about some of them...the binky leashes, the nursing aprons because they are really quite pricey...but the bows I sort of do. This is where my disclaimer comes in. I've actually been making bows sort of like this since my niece Ellie was born 4 years ago but not the exact same. Now I have a high-school friend who actually has a website where she sells the bows and they are adorable (http://www.something-little.com/). So I sort of copied her idea and learned from her some newer, cuter techniques. Sorry Katy, if you're looking. Does it make it better that I listed your website? And I'm not selling them.

It was hard to take pictures of these things too...really hard. The nursing covers are a direct copy of the Baby au Lait ("Hooter Hiders") ones so it's better to see what they look like on their actual website with models, etc.
Beaded binky "leashes". I like MAM binkies so that's what the big silicone ring is for. I really don't think my baby will need quite so many fancy binky leashes, and I'm not done making them yet...so I'll probably give them as gifts. As my mom always says, "Act surprised!"

Nursing aprons. I'm not exactly sure how much I'll use these because (those of you who have been around me know) it's just easier not to be so covered. I can see, though, where they would really come in handy...i.e. church, mall.

Now this part gets a little freaky. I tried to take a picture of the bows lying on the dresser and it just didn't work. I was tempted but the last thing Jason needs to see while he's deployed is his little boy in head bands.
The black one is my absolute favorite but it's the hardest to see. The white one is a band that can be worn alone or with changable flowers and bows.
If anyone has any other fun projects let me know!

9 comments:

amanda said...

those are so cute. now you need to show me how to make them.

*LaUrA* said...

Carrie!! You should totally go to Etsy.com and have your own little store!!! Of course Etsy is full of stuff like yours...but since you have the inventory it wouldn't hurt to put it out there nad see if you can make a little change on the side...nothing to lose I say. You make such CUTE stuff!! I want to try!!..I don't know the first thing about it though. I love the hooter hiders!! You are so talented!

julie said...

You're so talented! Why don't you come up to see me and help me on my projects when you're done!

Al and Jenny said...

Carrie, these are all so cute!! You are so talented!! I love everything. You've been staying very busy it looks like! I feel like such a slug after looking at all of these cute things you've made ;)

Ashley and Dave said...

You are doing really good! And dont feel bad copying because everyone does and it does save you money! The thing I got carried away with was bows! Every outfit I had, I made a bow to match...and then when she is a baby, you can just hook it onto the headband. I dont think bows are ever a waste of money because you will use them for many years. Be careful with headbands though, Kinsey wouldnt wear them after 6 months- she would rip it off her head! Stink.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for your help yesterday. I completed my hooter hider and it looks great! The boning was perfect! :-)

Becky said...

Carrie- I have a way cute craft, if you know basic crochet skills you can do it. I crochet beads onto the top of socks...the little girls love them! i'll have to get a picture and instructions to you! Cute projects! keep it up while you can! Becky

Katy said...

Carrie
No worries... seriously... if I were me, I would copy me too because they are easy and cheap to make yourself. I sell to people who are too lazy and too rich to make them themselves. I just made myself a nursing cover too... I love it!
So fun, it is lots of fun to anticipate a girl on the way! and yours will be darling

Alli said...

Hey Carrie its been a very long time. I saw your name on Cheri's blog hope you don't mind me snooping. Congrats... How very exciting. I love all of the little crafts you have made how fun. Anyways I could really use a lesson in that department.
I hear your in Twin?? Maybe your little Max and my son could get together for a play date sometime?? Let me know if your up for it..

Alli