Saturday, March 14, 2009

Voila!

At last my first armchair is complete! I couldn't be more relieved. This was my first attempt at a total reupholstery and I think I bit off more than I could chew. But...it's done...not perfect or even close to perfect, but it looks fine and it's done (did I already mention that?!?!). So here is the history of my project for my own documentation and maybe someone's interest.

I found two wingback armchairs on Craigslist for $20 each. Their frames were in excellent condition and the fabric wasn't even that bad- just very dirty and extremely smelly.

The first step was to remove everything and keep track of it for reference. There were staples and tacks and batting and popcorn kernels everywhere. When we took the fabric off, we realized there was another even lovelier layer underneath. We stripped it down to the wood. Everything was removed-even the cushions were thrown away (too stinky). Jason was a huge help with the break down. I'm so glad that he supports and even assists me in the crazy projects I take on. He's amazing! I painted the legs black and then the reupholstering began. I was really looking forward to recovering it and felt like it would be the more enjoyable part of the project. I guess it was. There were just a lot of obstacles along the way. Most of it was accomplished pretty quickly...all of the front pieces and the cushion...it was just the finishing pieces that were really tricky.

I'm happy with the results. The chair looks adorable in Evelyn's room. I made a black and white damask bolster pillow to put on it and it looks really cute. There are many imperfections and I'm happy (for this reason only) that most of you will not see it close up. I'm probably being too hard on myself. It's easy to do that when you put so much time and effort into something and it doesn't come out looking exactly the way you imagined.

It feels so good to be done with it. In the future, I think I'll stick with smaller reupholstery projects...something with less curves...that sounds like a lot more fun.

As for the second chair...I'm seriously considering spray painting it as seen here! Crazy, yes, but I'm not about to do this all again in the near future. The smell is pretty much gone and the print on the fabric is actually nice- maybe it would look okay? What do you think? I'm considering plum. So, write me a comment and tell me that you love it...even if you don't. Just kidding, be sincere, but I would love to hear from you!

Here is the finished product. I hesitate to post it when it's not in Evelyn's room (she's asleep) but I've waited long enough. Maybe after I paint her crib, you'll see it in the room. I'm in love with the puffiness of the cushion.



I'm so ready to put away the staple gun and pull out the paints!

7 comments:

julie said...

Hmm.. My favorite version was the second layer. How could you get rid of that? :) So I'm still not over how amazing you are. The chair is beautiful.

Jenny said...

That chair looks so amazing. I don't know why I am that amazed though because you always did the most amazing projects.

Shane and Amy Jo said...

So sleek & classy! I LOVE it!!! I admire your ambition to tackle a project like that. I might think about it...but that's as far as it ever goes!!! Really though, I think it turned out great. You need to give yourself a HUGE pat on the back!!!

Laura Lynn said...

It looks great! I love the pillow too. I usually stick to cushions but I have two chairs from Craigslist that will be getting a full make-over, uhg! I wish I could send them to you.

Ash said...

ooh, good job Carrie! Maybe someday I'll get brave enough to attempt that.

*LaUrA* said...

Carrie...I LOVE it! Can you make me some of those bolster pillows?? Wait...wait...I need to learn to do pillows...pillows should be easy right??? I need some throw pillows for our couches and I want them in a black and white print...hey...can you drive your little self down here and stay with me for a week or 3 and I will be your apprentice and we can make pillows and curtains and blankets and aprons and growth charts and whatever else our little hearts can imagine and then we can eat soup. :) Carter and Max could play all day and Evelyn can hang out with us...good, that is settled then...see you Tuesday. Then when we have made stuff we can just open up a boutique and sell stuff (I live in a boutique kind of town) and it will be fun.

But again...good job!

Cara said...

Awesome job. I want to do that but I am not sure I am ready for it. It looks totally hard. Way to go.