Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Spill

It's been awhile. I don't have any pictures, really, of anything we've done lately. Spring keeps teasing us by sending a "warm" day and then dumping snow. It's funny...I don't mind the snow/winter like I used to. I think being in SC away from the seasons made me appreciate them. I've loved the wintry weather this year but we're starting to get a little cabin fever and can't seem to shake these colds.

Last weekend, we had a little visitor in the mail. Flat Stanley was his name- sent to us from Jack for a school project. Stanley was traveling around the country and had an awesome time with us in Connecticut. We took him bowling and on a bike ride. He also visited a submarine with us since we are on a submarine base. Thanks, Jack, for letting us hang out with him. I was sort of wishing that it was really you we were hanging out with...but he looked a little like you...only shorter...and flatter...

Max has had some playdates lately which he loves! He's very social. That's something we've always noticed about his personality. He loves to be with people. We actually hosted playgroup this morning. It was chaos...almost too much for Max...but we had fun. I've never seen my house so messy. It's good for me, I guess...I don't do so well with messy!

In other news, I've become obsessed with Craigslist and finding things to fix up for our home. I have enough projects now for me to stop checking...maybe. Some of you know that I found two wing-back armchairs ($20 each) that I'm reupholstering. I'm just about done with the first one. It was put on hold because Jason sprained his thumb and I need his hammering precision for the last parts. Sure, I can use a hammer, but when it comes to putting a decorative tack in the exact right position, it just doesn't happen for me. The package only comes with a certain number of tacks and I've already ruined too many. I'll post pictures of the chair soon...

Yesterday, I found a good deal on a hutch. I decided to be brave and offer half of what they asked. It worked! It never hurts to ask...especially when they have no clue who you are! It's wood and the bottom looks like a long dresser...with cupboards and drawers. The top offers a little ledge and then has glass cupboards with criss-cross wood through it. I would take a picture but it's all disassembled. I'm going to do something fun with it to add some color to our home. I'm not really sure what color to do yet. Any suggestions? So far, I've been thinking either aqua or teal (a little distressed) lined with something contrasting. I don't know.

So these are my domestic projects:
1. The chairs...well...one chair until I'm brave enough to tackle the other. It's just so nasty.
2. The hutch.
3. Painting Evelyn's crib shiny black (not really a priority because it still looks pretty cute white...I just think it would be more fun black and make more of an impact in her cute room.)
4. Bookshelves. We're getting inexpensive white bookcases that I'm going to dress up a little.

I think I need to limit myself to those for now. Unless I find something super amazing.

4 comments:

Al and Jenny said...

You are so good!! I can't wait to see the finished results. I know they will look great because of the pictures you've posted of the other things you've made. Good luck with everything!

julie said...

Um.... you amaze me. We just got a big dresser for Ethan and Liam to share. It's white. I should do something with it. But I probably won't. I admire you.

Karen said...

I'm impressed! I wish I had some of that craftiness in me!!! I really would love to buy a hutch and make it pretty, but I just don't think I have the skills!!!!

Laura Lynn said...

Way to go!
I am obsessed with Craigslist too. Tonight I am picking up a dining set and hutch (50 bucks, thank you very much!) that I will be painting black!