Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Autumn Adventures

I left the room for about 2 minutes the other day and came back to this:
...and the culprit was Max...in the dining room...with the marker
...turning his sister into a monster.  After he told me that, I forgave him in an instant for his creativity.  He was drawing strokes for hair and said, "I wanted to make the perfect monster!"  Brilliant!
Superman!
If you haven't had the opportunity to hang out with Max or haven't done so recently, I wouldn't be surprised if you felt like something was missing in your life.  He is the coolest.  Ever.  And the craziest, too.  His imagination is wild these days and his energy never-ending.  Evelyn, who has never been able to hold still, is on the move.  She loves to run all over the place and Max loves to exclaim, "She's taking off!"  Her favorite game is "chase".  She runs and marches and tries to copy every movement Max makes.  She adores him.  We adore her.   

Last Saturday, our friends called up and invited us on a spontaneous adventure to Boston.  We didn't have much of a plan but it was fun to just get out and be with friends.

Max and Gabriella playing in the leaves in the Public Garden.

USS Constitution

After walking all the way here from the Public Garden, we found we had missed the last tour by minutes.  Darn.  We will definitely be trying again...and YOU are invited!

Overlooking downtown Boston.  We rode the ferry back and were happy to learn that we can ride the T for free with our military ID!!!

In other news, Max has been getting into reading big books and it has been a lot of fun.  The first one we read was Stuart Little, which we sort of rushed through, and then Charlotte's Web, which we spent more time on.  Such an adorable story.  He really loved it and it was so wonderful to snuggle up with him each night to read a chapter before bed. 

Any recommendations for "big" books appropriate for a 3 year-old?

I just finished The Scarlet Pimpernel and absolutely loved it!  I'd obviously heard of the book but never knew the story or even the genre really.  If you haven't read it, read it! 

7 comments:

julie said...

Love Evelyn's coat. My kids like the Fudge books, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books, Little House on the Prairie, some of the Roald Dahl.

John and Anna said...

I haven't read scarlet pimpernel, but I have watched the movie with Jane Seymore and loved it. Oh, and CUTE kids by the way! :)

*LaUrA* said...

Did you love Boston?!? I LOVE it...the history...the cleanliness...it has been my favorite big city that I have been to...I really only need to make it to New York now to compare. Anyhow...maybe sometime this Spring!

And of course cute kiddos! I wish we lived closer...Carter and Max would just be perfect together right now! Carter loves pretending and turning into Batman, or Tigers, or a dead man rolling (haha...this is funny)...alas.

Anonymous said...

LOVE that kid's creativity! Too cute!

Erin Davis said...

My kids just wrote all over the walls today! Oh the life of a mother! :)

julie said...

Try Crime and Punishment. I think he'll love it.

Anonymous said...

You have an artist on your hands :) I just get Katy naked and let her go to town with the washables....it turns the bath colors, so she takes a couple baths. She loves it. One of those once in a while things.