Carrie was right, the leave visit home was awesome! I had more fun in 9 days than any man should ever be allowed by those who govern the levels of fun...had...by man. (I loved being home.)
The return flight to Ft. Dix was a bit jarring. The lady passenger next to me was very tired and kept waking up on occasion mumbling incoherent babblings to whom I presume was her husband. In between the babbling she sawed logs like she was trying out for "Axman," perhaps. A couple of times I looked over just to make sure she wasn't in any pain--I realized that it's diffcult to detect pain in an unconcious logger.
The photo is me holding the Browning M2 50-caliber machine gun, affectionately called the "Ma Deuce" or "fifty-cal." I was one of a select few in our group that was trained on this weapon and able to shoot it on the range, as well as in a convoy training evolution. It was a lot of fun! What's more amazing, perhaps, is that it was originally designed at the end of World War I, which technology is still used today. They've made some alterations for different applications, but the weapon I am holding is essentially the same one they fired during WWI and on. It can mount on a tripod or on a swivel on a vehicle. The part I'm holding weighs 84 pounds.
Since returning from leave we've passed most of the week waiting around and packing. We were scheduled to fly out yesterday evening and even went to the airport terminal on McGuire Air Force Base and stood in line to check luggage and orders, etc. Then out of no where and without explanation the flight was canceled until today. So, once again we have spent the day waiting around, but what makes it a little worse is that we packed everything already so there is no showering or changing of the clothes for any of us. Thankfully I packed my toothbrush and deodorant in my carry-on at the last minute yesterday.
I will be glad to finally say "good-bye" to Ft. Dix, New Jersey, but I'm going to wait to do it from the sky because you never know, I just may be back to stay another night!
Kuwait or bust...
1 comment:
Hey Jason,
Keep the updates coming! It's weird to see you in camo and holding a huge gun and what not. I always thought of you as more of a pacifist ;) I ran into Grant Maughan the other day, he said that they are thinking of you and praying for you and your family. So are we! Love you!
Post a Comment