Friday, May 15, 2009

My Poet

Last weekend, our ward had a talent show. It was a lot of fun and a good way to get to know some of the personalities in our ward. Jason was so brave and did a poetry reading for his talent. Just before we left, we decided it would be funny for him to open with the beat poem Mike Myers does on "So I Married an Axe Murderer." ("Woman. Woe-man. Whoa Man!") With a little editing, a candle, and a sport coat, Jason nailed it! I'm not sure if too many people picked up on it, which we were afraid of, but some did and were snapping their fingers for him. Then he read two poems that he penned which are excellent. (I'm going to ask his permission to post one when he comes home tonight.) I was so proud of him!









(the bow ties were party favors)


I took a different approach and buried my talents in the ground for safekeeping. After all was said and done, I wished I would have done something...there's always next year...




At the end of the show, they showed a little slideshow put to music and Max was rocking out!

Sorry about the kink in your neck.

Permission Granted.

His Apogee

Vast darkness, void, disarray and confusion
But with the touch of God
Came something more, harmony and form
Creation of heaven and earth
And the angels leapt with joy.

Brilliantly came light’s first glow
Sundered from the dark
A radiant display, a spectacle of glory
The night from day, and day from night
And the angels cheered with triumph.

The firmament composed, an unequaled blue
Water both above and below
But God’s powerful touch made dry land too
He called one Earth and the other Sea
And the angels celebrated with delight.

Herb yielding seed, tree yielding fruit
The earth brought forth grass
Whose seed’s in itself, autotrophic
Fragrant, even perfumed, His blossoming flower
And the angels expressed their Amen’s.

God’s Sun, resplendent, even as He
The moon its own reflection
Sirius, Betelgeuse, constellations and galaxies
The glimmering infinite made known
And the angels shouted hoorahs.

Then came creatures of earth, sky, and sea
Dynamic, inventive, creeping
Elephants, tigers, horses, and bears
Hummingbirds, eagles, whales, and star fish
And the angels sang in praise.

In His own image God then created man
The greatest of which is She
She is splendid, exquisite, delicate, and refined
Of all things created, the zenith, the culmination
And the angels in stillness gave silent tribute.


Jason B. Lloyd
May 2004

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That poem was incredible! Thanks Jason for sharing!

Carrie Medford said...

That is an awesome talent! I loved the poem--even more since you posted it and I could actually read it and grasp the concept and the beautiful arrangement of words without kids distracting me!

Catherine Peterson said...

Poem's are great...but he should've done the irish step dancing again!!! That reminds me of some pictures I need to email you.

Emmett and Ashlee said...

Great poem. I love that he did the Ax murderer one too. That is awesome. Your kiddos are so cute. They look like a lot of fun.