Whenever I think about my blog and how lame it is sometimes, I always think I should do product reviews. I really like knowing how products are working for other people because, well, I'm pretty particular when it comes to...everything! So I'll just start.
Today will be jeans because they are on my mind.
I've been searching high and low for new jeans. Most of this search took place in my own closet: high shelf...low shelf...because you know what it's like to shop for clothing with children. This is actually my honest shopping ritual: I go to Target beacuse we need things there anyway...I walk through the clothing section on my way to the diaper section and I throw things in the cart that look interesting to me. Then I buy it all, try it on at home, and return the things I don't like (which ends up being 7/8 of the items). It works okay. But I was getting desperate for pants that actually fit. This was my selection and I'm giving all the details just so you know how much my pants were not fitting:
Seven for all Mankind: T.J. Maxx ($?), 2005, size 28 (6), very worn with hole in knee
Lucky: clearace rack at Macy's ($10), 2008, size 4, bought when I was pregnant with Evelyn...wore throughout the pregnancy and postpartum
Skinny Jeans (x2): Forever 21 ($12), size 0 Juniors, very worn and shapeless (too tight in the hip and thigh)...and not good quality! Forver 21 is the perfect place to test skinny jeans. I was very apprehensive about wearing them. My little sister, Tracie, started wearing skinnies pretty exclusively and (obviously) looked amazing in them. She suggested trying them at Forever 21 because they are $12.50. Then if you don't like them, no big deal and if you do, then you could transition to something more quality. I'm hooked on skinnies with boots in the winter and think they look cute with flats in the spring. My starter jeans just weren't working for me anymore and I've graduated from Forever 21.
So I've been searching...but it has always seemed like a never ending search. I want the look of a designer jean but can't bring myself to pay the $200+ price or even the $100 price. The other day, I stumbled onto the GAP website. I haven't shopped at the GAP for years and years for myself and have never worn a pair of their jeans in my adult life. But I started looking and reading through their descriptions and found out that they've completely redone their jeans. Their goal has been to create the same fit, stretch, feel, and look of high end jeans with a moderate price tag. They've done great!
Jason needed to be fitted for a tux for the upcoming wedding so we all headed to the mall. After the fitting, Jason took the kids to the toy store and play area while I seized the GAP. I really liked the look of their jeans and ended up buying some in the "Curvy" fit in a 2. After wearing them the next day, they stretched a full size (but I hadn't done my homework with their size charts!). So my search continued. I decided to stick with the GAP a bit longer.
I did my homework this time. Their sizing charts for jeans are great and even include a thigh measurement. I measured a 0 (which tells you how much the old pants were really not fitting!). I seized the GAP once more and asked lots of questions of the saleladies regarding length and stretch. I'm short-waisted and long-legged and hate when my pants get short. The saleslady, who was a bit shorter than me (but of a very similar body-type) and wears the long length recommended that I choose the long as well. Unfortunately 0L can only be ordered online. Fortunately they give you a free shipping card if the jeans you need are not available. I bought one pair that were on sale: a limited edition (no length choices, but longer than regular length) in the "Real Straight" fit (slim, but not peg-skinny). I'm loving them and feel so much more confidant about my body and my curves! I went back to my shopping compulsions and ordered a bunch online so I could try them on in my actual size and return the ones I don't want to the store! I'm in love with the "Perfect Boot" appreciating its mid-rise and can't wait until mine show up on my doorstep! They also had a mid-rise skinny jean online that I'm looking forward to trying.
I hope my sweet husband will enjoy them as well. He is the best and would not ever say anything remotely critical. So, after I had found some decent pants and asked him about the old ones (requesting the blunt truth) he did say there were a couple that he thought were not very flattering. And really, there were only "a couple" to choose from! Remember my post about wrinkles and whiskers?!?! He is the best and the kindest. I just really like to be told how it is, you know!? I think that comes from being friends with my dear Julianna! "How would I have felt had he told me they weren't flattering?" he asked. Well, I would have felt liberated like I had his blessing to go and spend oodles of money on new jeans!
Anyway...for those of you who are experiencing difficulties with jeans, those who want the look of expensive jeans but just can't do it, those who are wearing things in the wrong size...here's my advice: measure yourself and give the GAP a try. (Realizing, mind you, that "designer" jeans are made to be form fitting- so they stretch and "melt" to fit your particular body.)
I've decided that I need to go back to quality over quantity. But it's easy and sometimes fun to have lots of silly things that you don't ever wear. In my quest to look my age and to be the classy lady I want to be, I need to go back to shopping like a woman and not a teenager. Then I can look like a woman and not a teenager!
And just so you know, even though you may be deceived by the price, Target clothing is actually considered quality! (he he...I really think so!)
So, readers (all 4 of you), what do you think? Do you like product reviews or should I just go back to pictures of my beautiful children? I was laughing because Dixie (who all 4 of you readers know and love), who was doing recipes and random things like posts about moles on her blog, said people were requesting that she stop and post more about her adorable newborn. While her daughter is really, truly beautiful, I was really enjoying the recipes and such!
Let me know...is there anything you'd like to be reviewed? Are you interested in reviews? Are you interested in products?
*DISCLAIMER: I am in no way trying to say "looky-looky" if you know what I mean. My intent for this post was to show that we should all know what size we are and that actually finding out and wearing things that fit instead of squeezing into something too tight (like Forever 21) or drowning in something too big (like the others) isn't going to be the best look. It's tricky for me to say this because of the size I am, but I in no way endorse that size 0 is the perfect size. If you're wearing something that fits and you are a 0 or a 6 or a 14 and if that is a healthy size for your particular body, than you can feel confidant and sexy and stylish or however else you want to feel!
I go shopping with friends and they are totally open about what size they are which I think is awesome but I'm always embarrassed to tell anyone my size and never do...so this is very brave of me!
14 comments:
I also love product reviews. I am not much on clothing reviews because it just isn't my thing...but I love reviews on home products, kids products, home decor, practical things. With pictures please:)
But I also don't think a blog where people talk about their family or everyday lives is lame either...I like those just as much.
So either way...I will enjoy your blog.
Now...how to get a size 0 thigh?
I have the same question as above on the size 0 thigh. You are one tiny thing and I can't imagine you being anything but proud of your body. You look amazing with two kids! I was so jealous when I saw your pics of you in skinny jeans because I thought wow she is in style and looks amazing. I can't bring myself to spend the money, and can't imagine seeing myself in skinny jeans. I will have to check out the GAP sometime when I am in the market again! Good review!
I may have to try the Gap! I just bought some somewhat desinger jeans (Rock Revival) and they don't stay up...I don't wear bealts. I am constantly pulling them up and it's not fun. I've never known to measure my thigh before. I thought the fit was in the waist! I sure wish I were a size 0 sometimes! :) I like product reviews, but they are hard at the same time because what one person loves may not work on me (this has been true on hair product for curly hair. I've tried everything recommended to me and none of it worked on me)! :)
I don't think I've ever commented before on here :) It's your cousin stacey. I like this post. I was just thinking about this today, it has also been hard for me to transition to an adult style that is "me", fun, professional, etc... I find myself returning to Banana mostly but its expensive, not that great of quality, and kinda boring. Today after dropping too much money at BR and Anthro I went to this clothing exchange store. They had tons of jeans, many different brands, I didn't have the patience to find one that works, but since I only have one pair of jeans I like now(that Justin's wife gave me when she was pregnant) maybe I'll return there. I've never had success with the GAP fit but maybe I'll try that too... See you at the wedding! You have at leat five readers :)
Oh, the jean issue!! I have had this same issue for years!! I have everything from a 4 to a 10 in my closet (some of them are post baby...) and I have yet to have a pair that I love. It has been so long I can't remember the last time, sadly.
I find myself buying jeans at Old Navy because they are cheap and they are okay, but one pair fits tighter after washing and one pair stretches out so I feel like I can get a smaller size. I really like Banana Republic, but can only shop there when my mom takes me :)
Anyway, I am happy that you found some you love! You should buy several pairs when you find one you love because it is so hard to find! I also wish I were a size 0 too :) Maybe I should start checking the Gap more often instead of settling for Old Navy.
I like the product reviews, but I like the pics of your kids and your cute decorating too. So you have at least 6 readers! Yeah!!
P.S. I tried the quinoa recipe you posted a while back. I bought a huge bag at Costco and wasn't quite sure what to do with it. Your recipe was really good!
I like your product review. It's a bit overwhelming for me...all this info...you need to come a week early and help me..wait..no..come in the summer when I'm not weird shaped. Anyway, I also think it's funny we're friends just because I have the wrong size in everything!! Almost all my pants are hand me downs. Shame on me. And I totally understand how this is brave for you. Because when you say, "I'm a 0." people say,"I hate you," haha..maybe not exactly..but you know what I mean. Am I too honest? Did I damage you? What!? I swear everything has always looked good on you..so I just don't get that part. Okay..anyway..keep reviewing. I'm excited for 6 months from now and to also try dressing like a woman instead of a teen..that's also been a concern for me. Okay, this was as long as your post. love you.
look at all your readers (more than four) I love the review. I think most people struggle with jeans, no matter what size you are. I used to do the gap and have gone all over for several years (The buckle is where i've gotten the last 3 pairs) I'll have to try gap again! thanks!
how did you know? My favorite pair of free designer jeans just wore a hole in the knee. and I have literally worn them like crazy the past 4 years...and I really need some new jeans but didn't know were to turn. not a clue. I cant buy designer nor do I want to go there with old navy.
I think I will definitely go to GAP, I know they come long enough :) just have to figure out my thighs:)
Thanks Carrie...I love product reviews from friends blogs too. so nice.
I could have posted this exact same post, word for word... no kidding! I literally went through the same process a month ago and landed some perfect gap jeans. (thank you! Finally!!) I looove them. Simultaneously, and miraculously while roaming in a Ross, I found some Levi tilted jeans that are great too. (They call them tilt b/c they're low rise in the front but the back comes up high enough so your back side doesn't hang out...) Anyways...it's been a struggle fest my whole life to find great jeans b/c I'm a beanpole, with long legs and little to zero booty... so I feel you.
...
AND, just wanted to say, I love the posts about your darling babes, but I dig the idea of product reviews too. Keep em coming! I too am always looking for the best deals and the most worthy products out there! Keep em coming, and I'll let you know when I come across great stuff too! (take a gander at those tilted Levis!)
Oh Miss Carrie, How cute you are!!! Loved the review on the jeans and I couldn't agree with you more that quality is better then quanity. Perfect example is that I have made it through my entire pregnancy in two pairs of jeans that actually are comfortable but I did have to spend $80 at the GAP to get them. But yes love the reviews. Keep them coming!!! And especially sense I am going to be new to this mommy thing in the next...oh... week if you have any to die for baby products I need to know about feel free!!!
You make me laugh! I loved the disclaimer. You are too modest of your awesome bod! I am also having problems with jeans--they are never ever long enough and I do have to pay more $$ to get the right fit. I am desperately in need of more jeans since I stretched out my jeans with pregnancy and now they are all too big. I also laughed at your Target shopping scheme because I do the exact same thing! I buy a few things and return what I don't like (almost everything)! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Miss you guys!
YES! I love product reviews. And I love this one. I think it is a great idea. And you are a good writer...so keep 'em coming!
Oh, and I love your blog title. I have always thought it so clever.
Pants. I hate pants. and I am super cheap which doesn't go hand in hand with a good jean. So I'm always frustrated. And my post-baby body doesn't help the situation either. My size is the same. However, now I have an enormous tire/muffin top a top all the pants. So I just hate all my pants and I hate trying anything on. But these are some really good tips. You've given me hope!!!
I love product reviews too! And I love that you wrote sizes and all. I am the right size for my body at a size 6 and I'm not shy at all about giving my numbers out to people. Sometimes I feel like people think I'm weird because I don't care about sharing my weight and clothes sizes. Now I want to go check out Gap once I lose all my baby weight in a few months.
As soon as I started reading your post, I thought, I need to tell her about GAP jeans, but it looks like you figured it out. I love GAP curvy jeans. I got a pair last year, so when I needed new ones, I walked in, grabbed one pair, tried them on and walked out with a new pair of jeans! It was awesome! I have never tried on just one pair and been happy! And while they are a little more pricey, it is worth it. I wear mine nearly every day. So yay for GAP!
Post a Comment